Monday, May 14, 2007

Why is my blog called lamplighter?

Humorist Sir Harry Lauder tells this story of an old lamplighter from a village where Sir Harry grew up. " Each evening, the old man would make his rounds with his ladder and his light. He put the ladder agaisnt the lamp post, clmbed up and lit the lamp. Then, he would step back down, pick up his ladder and proceed to the next lamp. After a while, he would be down the street and out of sight. But, I could always tell which way he had gone from the lamps he had lighted and the glow he left behind. Life's highest tribute would be to live in such a way as to deserve the words, "I could always tell which way he went by the light that was left behind."

Well, I want to be a lamplighter. I think back to the days of past and think how a lamplighter and carry the oil (heavy I am sure) and a ladder and a light, and each time had to position the ladder. Climb the steps and light the lamps. Then onto the next one. I also imagine the dark street and how this one lamplighter used his light to shine to show the way of the path! Like a lamplighter each one of us leaves a trail. I want mine to be a brightly lit path where others may follow. I dont want it to be dark and scary. I want it to be bright. I want it to be lit. And I want to be a lamplighter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the story! What a high aspiration and I think you're getting there! I've always wondered about the name but never asked. So, you're one rockin' lamplighter!!!

Swinging Sammy said...

I heard a song that told the story once, thanks for the reminder, and I think you are doing a great job of lamplighting!

Tom Haddox said...

Love the story ... and the sentiment. May I steal it sometime for an illustration?

michelle said...

go ahead Tom!