Friday, June 09, 2006

Video Games

We live in a totally different time than when I grew up. Everything now a days is electronic and moral standards have been lowered in our society. We have game systems in the house and the kids do play video games on those and the computer. I know that Left behind has come out with a "christian" video game that when you kill a person your score decreases and when you save a soul your score increases. The game is similar to Star wars battlefront, I believe, the difference is that these are really people that could be in your neighborhood, compared to Darth Vader who does not really exist. (sorry Star Wars fans) I do not allow games with scantily clad girls, jocks who do steroids, no stealing, and the ones where the people shoot other people. I do allow the games such as Star Wars because the characters are not real and the kids know they are not real compared to a gangster stealing a car. Sounds like a contradiction, huh?

Okay now where should we draw the line. Is it okay for Christians to get into the video industry that makes tons of money with a video game of killing people? They say it is okay because it has a message attached to it. A christian message, but the people in it are killing each other. Should christians play this game? Some would say it is better this than Grand theft auto.

What would be the difference of that game and the game I allow Kota to play of medieval knights that relive historic crusades of Christendom? I don't know! Those are realistic people but I think since it is not in a modern world setting Kota perhaps thinks it is unrealistic. Sometimes decisions are hard and what I may think is suitable for my kids, others may not think are suitable and vice versa.

I don't know how many Left Behind video games were sold and I have never been asked by my kids to purchase or rent it? So, I guess I don't have to deal with the issue if it is okay for me to allow it. For now anyways.

No comments: