Friday, December 16, 2005

Got to thinking

What woman in her third trimester is going to want to ride a donkey and travel all the way to be counted for tax purposes. Now, if I get some of the history or parts of the story wrong, then you will have to just forgive me. Seriously though think about this situation. Mary had perhaps stirred up conjecture in the village that she was either not faithful to Joseph or had "premarital" sex. I am not sure if the women had to go with the men and be counted, so why not just stay home with family and have the baby in comfort around those that love you. I am thinking that a ride on a donkey was better than the whispers and looks that Mary endured while she did her daily routine. I even think that Joseph was maybe starting to doubt in his thinking. He had to hear the whispers and he may have even started to think that the angel appearring was just a dream. After the long hike to Bethlehem, tired, dirty, hungry, and definately aching, all they wanted to do was get a room and rest. But it was not to be so. I think I would have cried. Finally, when they do settle in to what is a dry cave like structure and give birth to a beautiful baby boy; God removes all the doubt and shepherds show up and say that angels have appeared to them, telling them of the Messiah. WOW! God was in control all along. He knew that all would be ok even if Mary had to make the journey so close to her due date. Even if there was no room at the inn. Even if doubt hung in the air between the couple. In the middle of all this God was at work. He knew the whole time that all was well. We just have to trust and obey. We need to rely on Him and I don't care what day of the year Jesus was born because I rejoice in him always. However,I am going to celebrate Christ at Christmas! We are going to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and I wish everyone a Merry CHRISTmas.

4 comments:

Swinging Sammy said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! What a wonderful interpretation of the Christmas story.

loved truly said...

Merry Christmas and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Tom Haddox said...

You have shared a marvelous interpretation of the events ... drawn from the perspective of Mary ... and come up with the most important lesson of all ... that God is in charge. Thank you!

Kodiak said...

Very nice perspective. I would not have thought about traveling during the 3rd trimester. I can imagine what Joseph might have had to listen to during the trip. LOL