Friday, August 19, 2005

Will or Bill?

Why is it if your name is William you then become Bill? Embarassing but true I thought if your name was Bill then your full name was Billiam. I learned when I was a senior in high school that was not the case. I had a friend named Bill and when they called him up for his diploma at graduation they said William *******. My mouth was like what the ....? I thought his name was Bill. That is what I told the gal next to me. Thankfully she was a friend and explained and we had a silly laugh. I just thought it was common sense.
William = Will
Billiam = Bill
that's it and that makes sense!

2 comments:

Russell said...

I have the same confusion about the name Richard. Never, NEVER, will understand that nickname!!

michelle said...

Yeah that is another name I don't get but at least I knew that Dick went with Richard. I had an Uncle Dickie. LOL That is what the whole family called him! Besides I am not fond of nicknames. Nicholas is just that to me. And same with Vincent. But for some odd reason I do shorten Dakota to either Kota or Kode. Whatever as long as they answer and respond.