Tuesday, July 05, 2005

live 8

Over the past weekend there were many free concerts around the world promoted by live 8. Now, these free concerts were for the needs in Africa. Why were these concerts free is my question? When I had first heard of live 8, I thought cool, musicians donating money to stop hunger, etc. No, that is not what live 8 is about. It is about raising AWARENESS. To raise awareness of hunger in Africa, of starvation, of poverty, of AIDS, of all the needs that are not being met. They want leaders to give aid and to cancel debt. Mhhhmmm, the way I see it is that there are millions of people that are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a concert or sports ticket. Do you think you could charge for the concert and then donate all the proceeds? It is just one concert. Oh I am sorry you are raising awareness of the problems of Africa.
If the people that went to these concerts really cared they would have been willing to donate ummmmm lets say just $20 bucks. That is not alot per person! Times that with how many people were there maybe we could have raised enough money to make a dent. I am sure we could have easily raised a billion dollars!!
If these people did not care about the concerns in Africa before a free concert (and other places around the world) then why would they care after. They got to enjoy a free concert with their friends and loved ones. Probably even had something to eat and drink too. After all was done they even got to go back to a home where they could lay their head on a pillow. Oh, I know they care cause they are now AWARE of the problem. Interesting. Now please do not get me wrong, I totally believe in helping out others and I don't knock it when people are trying to help others. But a month's notice for a concert to benefit Africa and the agenda is to create awareness to me just does not jive. I like Bono and all he does for others and there are others too many to name. But I am just not sure if this was quite the right thing to have done.
http://www.live8live.com/
give a man a fish and feed him for a day
teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time

No comments: