Sunday, July 24, 2005

mistakes and positive attitude go together?

Thomas Edison tried two thousand different materials in search of a filament for the light bulb. When none worked satisfactorily, his assistant complained, "All our work is in vain. We have learned nothing."

Edison replied very confidently, "Oh, we have come a long way and we have learned a lot. We now know that there are two thousand elements which we cannot use to make a good light bulb."

I like that positive attitude. If I could just bottle that and open a can of positive attitude everytime I make a mistake or get discouraged I would be the happiest gal around. And if I sold it all bottled and packaged I am sure I would be one of the richest lol. However, I am not sure I would have been so confidently positive as Edison. After like the 20th time I would have thought forget it, it is never going to happen. I am not supposed to be doing this, I quit!!! Well lately I have been trying to have that kind of mind set. Positive attitude when there are mistakes or discouragement. I find it easier to take a deep breath, pause, and then be positive. What I did not anticipate to be so difficult is the part when other people may be involved. People can be so negative and suck the energy and positiveness right out of you. (not all but some) Especially when you are making a conscious effort to be positive. But since I am trying to be positive I will not let that discourage me. I will keep on with my smile and sweet ------(the word really does escape me at this time) I will continue to be positive when my son doesn't park in the drive way properly. (even though he has been told for the past 6 months) Or when my other son walks through the house with muddy feet after I have mopped the floor. (and he has been told not to come through that door just 5 minutes before) It is just not as easy as I thought but with a conscious effort it is easier!

1 comment:

Swinging Sammy said...

I don't know if I could be positive after so many failures, but with God's help, I will keep trying.