Saturday, June 18, 2005

Father's day!!!

lamplighter
I just returned from a baby shower and was thinking how cool. Neil will be able to celebrate father's day next year with little Tyler bouncing on his lap. However, sometimes I think these holidays are a little bit commercial. By that I mean that we should cherish our fathers always (well for me that means as much as I can stand). We should call them up every so often and say Hi I love you. Not ask for money or an oil change, etc. I remember one time I called to speak to my mom, well something overcame me when my dad answered the phone. I always would say hi dad is mom there? This time was different-He answered the phone and I said hello dad how are you? (that was his first clue that he thought I needed something) He even said do you want you mom. I told him no I did not want mom but I just called to say that he was important in my life no matter how much we did not get along and no matter what our differences are or were. I then told him that I loved him and I thanked him for being my dad. Well he was speechless. Then he said that I did not have to say things like that. (You gotta know my dad to understand why he would say that) And as the tears started to choke my words I said ok dad well that is all I called to tell you. Bye! He told my ok bye and we never mentioned that phone call ever. But sometimes now it seems that there is an unspoken bond of father and daughter with us. Every once in a while I can get a sense of it.
To all the father's out there-(and I mean the real dads-not the ones that just are biologically a dad) God Bless you !! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments: